Last Updated on April 5, 2023 by amrita
Yes, Ubud is worth visiting. Whether you’re seeking adventure, relaxation or personal growth – this cultural capital has something to offer everyone. You don’t even need to ask is Ubud worth visiting, this place is like no other in the world. Coming from a person who has been to more than 40 countries across the globe, I do not say this lightly or flippantly.
If you’re looking for an unforgettable experience, then Ubud is the perfect trip destination – especially if you’re keen to follow in the footsteps of people like “Eat Pray Love” pilgrims before you! It’s ancient temples and vibrant markets provide a window into Balinese culture, while its stunning natural scenery offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Furthermore, the wide variety of fun stuff to do and the large selection of different, high quality restaurants and dining options, Ubud (and Bali) may become you favorite place to ever visit in your life.
With its breathtaking beauty, kind and loving local people and inspiring spirituality, Ubud is truly worth visiting.
Reasons for Visiting
- Cultural Enrichment: Ubud is a perfect destination for those seeking to enrich their cultural knowledge. This vibrant town has a rich history, dating back centuries, with influences from all over Southeast Asia. Visitors can take part in traditional ceremonies and see traditional Balinese dance performance or take classes in local arts and crafts. There are also many temples dotted around the area that provide insight into Hinduism, Bali’s predominant religion.
- Scenic Beauty: Ubud offers unparalleled beauty, making it an ideal spot for nature lovers. The stunning natural landscape includes lush green rice terraces, deep valleys surrounded by towering volcanoes, and incredible natural scenery that can be found throughout the region. Take a leisurely walk through the emerald green padi fields of Campuhan Ridge or admire the picturesque waterfalls of Tegenungan Village. Additionally, Ubud’s dense forests and vibrant wildlife offer a truly immersive experience for those seeking to connect with nature.
- Health & Wellness: Ubud’s peaceful atmosphere combined with its abundance of holistic retreat centers makes it the perfect destination for health and wellness enthusiasts looking to recharge their minds and bodies. The area is known for its restorative Ayurvedic treatments as well as yoga and meditation courses offered by experienced teachers in stunning settings.
- Delicacies of Balinese Cuisine and a World of Flavors: No trip to Ubud is complete without trying some of the delicious specialties on offer, such as babi guling (roast suckling pig) and urab (vegetable salad). These dishes are not only tasty but also use locally grown produce that expresses the unique flavors of Bali’s gastronomy culture. Moreover, Ubud’s vibrant culinary scene extends beyond traditional Balinese fare, featuring an array of high-quality dining experiences that cater to diverse palates. From international cuisines to fusion creations, food lovers can indulge in a rich tapestry of flavors while exploring the gastronomic delights this beautiful destination has to offer.
Best places to visit in Ubud, Bali?
The more arguments and answers for “is Ubud worth visiting”:
Tegallalang Rice Terraces Ubud:
There’s no doubt that Tegalalang Rice Terraces Ubud makes it onto the list of must-see places in Ubud for it’s beautiful scenery. This stunning part of Bali is renowned for its terraced rice paddies and dramatic slopes, drawing visitors from all over the world who come to marvel at its beauty.
With many nearby cafes offering a great vantage point, visitors can relax with a light meal and drink while admiring the view of terraced paddy fields – all without sacrificing their precious holiday time. It’s crystal clear why Tegalalang Rice Terraces Ubud deserves to be on your travel itinerary!
Tegenungan Waterfall is a stunning sight in Bali, located approximately 25km from Ubud. The winding path to the waterfall adds to the experience, as you come across vendors selling souvenirs, snacks and even monkeys playing around.
When you arrive at Tegenungan Waterfall, its amazing views will leave you awe-struck. Standing atop a cliff overlooking a deep pool surrounded by lush greenery, it’s hard not to be mesmerized by the crystal-clear water cascading down into the plunge pool like a curtain. Not only does it look beautiful but also provides an incredibly refreshing dip for those brave enough to take on its cool waters!
After soaking up the beauty of Tegenungan Waterfall, make sure to visit nearby attractions such as Goa Gajah Temple and Blangsinga Village which offer unique experiences that no other destination in Bali can provide.
Tegenungan Waterfall is your ideal destination for adventure lovers. With its picturesque views and calming atmosphere, this natural paradise will be a memorable experience that will stay with you forever!
Monkey Forest Ubud
Ubud’s Monkey Forest is a must-see destination and one of the top attractions in Bali. Within its lush forest lies a realm of beauty and adventure, home to numerous monkeys living among ancient temples and verdant greenery. Visitors can marvel at this unique biodiversity while exploring the many pathways that meander through the area, discovering new wonders within this enchanted oasis.
With so much to explore and experience, you’ll completely understand why it’s one of the go-to attractions for locals and tourists alike.
Ayung River Rafting Ubud
There is no better way to explore Ubud than through Ayung River Rafting. Perfect for first-timers, this adventure will provide you with an unforgettable experience that you can appreciate for years to come.
The rafting trip will take you along the Ayung River, where you can enjoy moderate rapids that are just right for novice rafters. The river provides a unique view of Bali’s lush countryside, making it easy to forget the hustle and bustle of everyday life and take in the spectacular scenery all around you.
You’ll also be able to see Ubud’s rural areas while drifting along the river – a truly remarkable experience. With so much on offer, Ayung River Rafting is an exciting activity that should not be missed if you are looking to make lasting memories of your stay in Ubud!
Ubud Bike Tour On The Edge Of The Rice Field
Experience what it’s like to be a part of the local Balinese culture with an Ubud Bike Tour on the Edge of the Rice Fields. In recent years, cycling has become more popular among tourists since the release of the movie Eat, Pray, Love starring Hollywood artist Julia Roberts, and many Indian, Singaporean and Hong Kong visitors are now looking to explore Ubud’s rural areas while on two wheels. The high demand in bike tours has prompted many outdoor activities operators who initially only provided rafting activities in Bali to start offering bike tours as well.
One such company is Sobek Adventure Cycling Ubud, which offers packages that are perfect for cyclists of all levels – from beginners to experts alike. With its scenic views of rice paddies and luxurious views of Balinese countryside, an Ubud Bike Tour on the Edge of the Rice Field is a unique way to get up close and personal with this stunning destination!
Kokankan birds of Petulu
Petulu, a small village located in the Gianyar regency of Bali, Indonesia, is well-known for its large population of herons, also known as kokokan birds in Balinese. These elegant birds come to roost in the trees around the village every evening around dusk, creating a fascinating spectacle for visitors and locals alike.
The herons began arriving in Petulu in the 1960s, and it is believed that they were drawn to the area because of the abundant food sources and the tall trees that provide ideal nesting sites. Over time, the villagers have embraced the presence of these birds and have made efforts to protect them, as they are seen as a symbol of good luck and prosperity.
Visitors to Petulu can observe the herons roosting in the trees, as well as flying overhead in large numbers. The sight is particularly impressive during the breeding season, which typically occurs between October and April.
As dusk falls, these elegant herons flock to the village, creating an unforgettable scene that is sure to captivate your heart. Just this spectacle alone makes the question “is Ubud worth visiting?” seem disingenuous. if you’re planning a visit to Ubud, don’t miss the chance to witness this magical display in Petulu, where nature and tradition intertwine in perfect harmony.
Culinary Tour On The Edge of Rice Fields
For those who are looking for a truly unique culinary experience, look no further than the Culinary Tours on the Edge of Rice Fields in Ubud. These amazing tours showcase all that Ubud has to offer by taking you to some of its best eateries, cooking schools and markets. You’ll have the chance to not only sample some of Bali’s best-loved dishes, but also learn more about their cultural and historical significance.
Along the way, you’ll be taken to many spectacular spots where you can take in beautiful views of Ubud’s stunning rice fields. From traditional family warungs (local restaurants) to fine dining experiences, this tour is perfect for foodie adventurers who want to try something new and adventurous! It’s an ideal way to get a taste of the local culture while enjoying delicious meals prepared with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic dinner or just a fun afternoon out with friends and family, there is a tour that will provide delicious memories that will last forever!
Getting Around in Ubud
When in Ubud, there are plenty of popular nearby main attractions to check out and tourist places that will probably be on your list.
These include like Goa Gajah Temple, Tirta Empul Temple, Gunung Kawi, Bali Butterfly Park, majestic Mount Agung, Mount Batur, Jatiluwih Rice Terraces, Campuhan Ridge Walk, Petanu River, Saraswati Temple & Water Palace, Blanco Renaissance Museum and Agung Rai Museum.
If time permits, don’t forget to visit some local art galleries and markets such as Ubud Art Market and Pasar Seni Sukawati Art Market for authentic Balinese souvenirs. There are also many cafes and restaurants offering international cuisine for visitors to indulge in some culinary delights along the way.
Ubud Royal Palace is a stunning Balinese cultural center and one of the most famous landmarks to experience Ubud. This royal palace features ornate gardens, pavilions, shrines and temples with intricate carvings and traditional artwork, making it a great place to explore Balinese culture.
Monkey Forest road is a winding path situated within Ubud’s Monkey Forest Sanctuary. Along the road there are over 700 playful long-tailed macaques and lush vegetation, making it a great spot for taking in nature’s beauty. The sanctuary is a popular tourist spot and provides visitors with an excellent opportunity to learn about local wildlife and experience Balinese spirituality.
Things to do in Ubud
Ubud offers travelers endless possibilities for cultural exploration, health and wellness, and outdoor activities.
- Cultural Experiences Take part in traditional ceremonies and see authentic Balinese traditional dance performances such as the Legong and Barong dances. Explore countless temples that provide insight into Hinduism, Bali’s predominant religion. Visit the local art markets to purchase unique handicrafts from nearby villages or take classes in painting, drawing, or batik.
- Ubud Market is a vibrant and bustling spot where you can find anything from fresh fruits, vegetables, spices to handicrafts and other unique souvenirs. The market is buzzing with activity throughout the day so it’s worth visiting to witness the colors and sounds of this lively location.
- Outdoor Activities Take a leisurely walk through the emerald green padi fields of Campuhan Ridge or admire the picturesque waterfalls of Tegenungan Village. Go trekking up one of the many volcanoes around the area or explore some of the area’s lush jungle landscape by joining a guided tour through pristine reserves like Tegallalang Rice Terrace.
- Ubud, Bali is a haven for health & wellness seekers. From restorative Ayurvedic treatments to yoga and meditation courses with experienced teachers, the holistic retreats of Ubud offer a range of options to nurture and restore the body. Get even closer to nature and visit one of the many natural hot and cold springs nearby – its healing properties will provide an added boost to your yoga practice and fill you with a sense of peace and tranquility. Take part in calming yoga sessions overlooking striking landscapes perfect for mindfulness, while invigorating hikes through lush jungle trails are bound to get your blood pumping – all accessible from Central Ubud’s yoga studios!
Whether it’s restorative yoga or active excursions, take advantage of all that Ubud has to offer and turn your health & wellness journey into a never-ending holiday!
More About Exploring the Delicious Cuisine of Ubud
You won’t ask “is Ubud worth visiting” once you have had a few days to explore the right places to eat.
Ubud is a food paradise for those who love to explore local cultures through cuisine. Ubud’s town center boasts many delicious and unique dishes, from traditional Balinese fare to international fusion creations. Here’s what you need to know about Ubud’s tasty offerings!
One of the best things about Ubud, Bali is its amazing local food. Some of these include Nasi Campur, a bowl of steamed rice topped with various side dishes; Babi Guling – a roasted suckling pig marinated in spices; and ‘Bebek Bengil’, a famous restaurant serving crispy duck. But don’t miss out on classic Indonesian curries or savoury coconut-based soups either – these are staples of traditional Balinese cuisine which can be found in multiple locations around town. For an unforgettable taste experience, make sure to pair your meal with refreshing drinks such as freshly picked coconut cocktails (including rum-infused versions)!
For dessert lovers, there’s something for everyone in Ubud! Try sweet pancakes drenched in honey syrup or fragrant jackfruit cakes served with nutty ice cream. Refreshing drinks such as freshly picked coconut cocktails (including rum-infused versions) are widely available too – perfect for quenching any thirst!
Visiting Ubud, Bali provides an amazing culinary journey into exploration – it’s no wonder that foodies visit from all around the world! Whether you choose traditional Balinese specialties or prefer international fusion fare this town provides an unforgettable delicious food experience – enjoy your stay and happy eating!
When to travel
Ubud is an ideal destination to visit any time of the year. The climate in Ubud is usually warm and sunny, making it a great place to escape from cooler climates.
The best time to visit Ubud, however, is during the dry season which runs from May to September when temperatures are coolest. This is also the busiest season, with many visitors coming from all different parts of the world. During this period, visitors can take advantage of the many activities and events such as visiting Ubud art market, cultural performances, as well as health and wellness activities like yoga class and meditation classes.
The wet season, which lasts from October until April, offers its own unique beauty with lush green rice fields and rivers that flow through the area. Trekking and nature tours are popular activities in this season because of the stunning scenery provided by nature. The generally lower temperature of Ubud, relative to the rest of Bali, makes outdoor adventures even more enjoyable and rewarding.
Is Ubud Worth Visiting? The Definitive Answer.
When it comes to deciding if Ubud, Bali is worth visiting – the definitive answer is yes!
From majestic mountain views to vibrant markets, there’s something new to explore every day. The unique culture of this Balinese city provides a truly unforgettable experience that makes ubud worth visiting.
Whether you’re seeking out adventure or simply looking to relax with friends or family, Ubud has the perfect mix of activities to suit everyone’s interests. So don’t hesitate – head over to Ubud today and find out why so many people have fallen in love with this remarkable destination!